Culture Moves Europe is the permanent mobility scheme funded by the Creative Europe programme of the European Union and implemented by the Goethe-Institut.
The scheme is composed of two action lines:
- Individual mobility for artists and cultural professionals.
- Residencies for host organisations.
This call is addressed to residency hosts that are legal entities based in one of the 40 Creative Europe countries. The purpose of the grant is to welcome international artists and cultural professionals at your premises to implement a residency project. The participating artists and cultural professionals must be legal residents in a Creative Europe country that is different from the host’s country.
Residency hosts should be active in one or more of the following sectors:
- Cultural heritage.
- Design and fashion design.
- Performing arts.
- Visual arts.
What is the residency action for?
You can apply for funding for a residency project with a proposal that includes its objectives, expected impact and duration. You will act as a mentor to artists and cultural professionals, and should provide them with the environment, support and equipment adapted to their field of expertise, so that they can focus on their individual or collective projects.
The residency project should pursue one or two of the following objectives:
- To explore: To conduct research, to investigate and work on a specific theme or a new concept.
- To create: To engage in a collective creative process seeking to produce a new piece of artistic/cultural work.
- To learn: To enhance the participants’ competences through non-formal learning or collaboration with a specialist.
- To connect: To develop a network, to strengthen the participants’ professional development.
- To transform: To enable societal change in line with the New European Bauhaus values and principles.
You can welcome between 1 and 5 international artists and cultural professionals who must all participate in the residency project on the same dates and for the same duration. The residency can last between 22 and 300 days.
When applying, you must choose one of the following durations:
- Short-term residency project: between 22 and 60 days.
- Medium-term residency project: between 61 and 120 days.
- Long-term residency project: between 121 and 300 days.
The residency grant contributes to the costs connected to hosting international artists and cultural professionals and their mobility. This includes housing costs (fixed €35 per day), a mobility grant covering a travel allowance (€350 for distances between 601-5000km, €700 for 5001km+) and daily allowance (€25 per day), and various top-up allowances that support green travel and the participation of Overseas Countries and Territories or Outermost Regions, disabled artists and professionals, persons with children below the age of 10, and those with visa expenses.
Selected residency projects must be carried out and completed within 1 year from the signature of the grant agreement.
Culture Moves Europe’s residency action is offering 4 open calls between spring 2023 and autumn 2024. This second call is open from 16 October 2023 to 16 January 2024.
See also the CME call for individual mobility (monthly deadlines to 31 May 2024).