The Cultural Cooperation project Some Call Us Balkans (SCUB) is a transdisciplinary, art-based inquiry and community that explores and mobilises moments of collective production of knowledge, imagination, research, and multivocal representations that challenge myths and misconceptions regarding the Balkans as the ‘European Other’.
Based on the artistic research built throughout the project, SCUBcommunity is looking for 8 emerging artist-travelers.
- The selected 8 artist-travelers will form together a collective and will work jointly and transdisciplinary, and will be required to commit in terms of time and presence.
- Emerging transdisciplinary artist-travelers participating in the open call are highly motivated in supporting local realities, organisations and social claims through their skills and competencies and to work together.
- Each partner organisation will be selecting one artist from their respective country to become part of the project. The selection of the eight finalists will be a collective decision of all SCUB partners.
What the programme offers
- SCUB programme offers a three-step co-creation and mutual learning process for all participating artists:
- May 2022: 1 Month residency in Banja Luka (BIH) – DKC Incel space where the artists along with a set of experts, curators, and local communities will co-create The Ground Tour Journey and Mobile Forum practice, based on the artistic research framework, the Ground Open Travelling Practices, and the specificities of each location during the itinerary
- Mid September – mid October 2022: 1 Month journey to all partners’ selected sites, and local communities, where the artists will stage in public space the Mobile Forum in a participatory format, and put into action the dramaturgy of the Ground Tour Journey that is imagined as a travelling theatre piece, in which the artist-travellers, the localities, the communities and the local actors involved will be the protagonists.
- The Journey will end at BOWB – Biennale of Western Balkans, Ioannina, Greece.
- November 2022 –March 2023: The Artists will have remote mentoring to produce retrospectively an individual work to be presented at the final exhibition of the project in Pristina at the partner space of Termokiss – Community Center.
- Artists’ Honorarium: 2400 € (1000 € for the Residency + 1000 € for Ground Tour Journey + 400 € for final individual art work to be exhibited in Pristina).
- Travel and Accommodation will be covered during the implementation of the programme.