Regional Network for Cultural Diversity (READ) is a four-year EU funded regional cultural project implemented by Goethe-Institut Skopje together with the partner organisations: Center for Balkan Cooperation – Loja (North Macedonia), Instituti I Librit dhe i Promocionit (Albania), Kalem Culture Association (Turkey), Krokodil (Serbia), Qendra Multimedia (Kosovo). The project contributes to reconciliation and intercultural tolerance by opening new channels of communication from the independent cultural societies, offering them networking opportunities away from the political stage. The project aims to promote intercultural reading skills and democratic values through reading culture and the handling of supra-regional high-quality literary works.
Regional and local writers, translators, playwrights, poets, illustrators, graphic novel artists and comic book writers are invited to apply for the READ residency programme, to spend time reflecting upon reconciliation and cultural diversity. Young and emerging authors are welcomed as well as established and experienced ones. Eligible applicants will have published at least two books/works of their own or at least two translations, and must be residents of one of the following countries: North Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey, Albania or Kosovo.
Each partner organisation will host two resident authors per year, so in total ten residency grants are planned for 2021. Each residency duration will be up to one month. The residencies will take place from May – December 2021.
The goal is to give the READ artists in residence the opportunity to develop a project over a fixed period of time, and to reflect on and consolidate their artistic practice in the specific context. Creative and innovative project ideas, as well as works dealing with contemporary and relevant topics, will be given priority.
The READ residency grant will include:
- One-month stay in fully equipped apartment.
- Travel costs (up to 250 EUR).
- Stipend in the amount of 1,350 EUR (gross).
- Involvement in the literary festivals in the partner countries and project networking activities.
- Translation of one text/work produced during the residency in the local language and/or in English.
- Opportunities to participate in the city’s literary life, arrange contacts with local authors, give interviews for the media, document the work created during the residency, and promote the work on a website and social media channels.