Founded in 1973, Garth Newel Music Center is one of the most active chamber music organizations in the USA. Its resident ensemble – the Garth Newel Piano Quartet – performs over 60 concerts annually both at the Center and on tour. Through this competition, the Quartet seeks to broaden the piano quartet repertoire and to support the Center’s ongoing commitment to contemporary music.
Benefits for the winner
- Glovie and Dick Lynn New Music Prize ($3000).
- A performance of the winning work by the Garth Newel Piano Quartet during the 2022 Summer Music Festival.
- A travel stipend to work with the Garth Newel Piano Quartet and attend the premiere in Hot Springs, Virginia.
- Frequent performances and a high quality video recording of the winning work by the Garth Newel Piano Quartet.
- The opportunity to participate in a short-term residency in conjunction with the premiere. This residency will take place during Garth Newel’s prestigious Emerging Artist Fellowship chamber music programme.
- The winner will have the opportunity to work closely with the Garth Newel Piano Quartet and its Emerging Artist Fellows, with the possibility of readings and performances of the composer’s other chamber works.
- Collaborate and network with talented musicians from the top music schools.
- Submitted works must be for violin, viola, cello and piano. Piano trios and quintets are not accepted.
- There is no time limit for works.
- Submissions from any composer, regardless of age or citizenship, are welcome.
- The work must be originally conceived as a piano quartet. Arrangements of previously completed works that have been performed or published are not acceptable.
Compositions are ineligible if
- They require live electronics or cannot be performed with just stereo playback.
- The work has already received a professional premiere. (A student performance within the school community is allowed).
- They are a transcription or arrangement of another work that has been performed or published.
- They have already been professionally recorded for commercial CD release.
- The work, in any instrumentation, has been published.