In 2022, Kultur einer Digitalstadt is for the first time inviting applications for three Artist-in-Science-Residencies for artists of all disciplines. The studio residencies on the Rosenhöhe in Darmstadt are each linked to one of the renowned Darmstadt research institutes. Cooperation partners are the European Space Agency (ESA) / European Space Operations Centre (ESOC), the Helmholtz Centre for Heavy Ion Research (GSI) and the Hessian Center for Artificial Intelligence (hessian.AI).
The ‘Artist-in-Science-Residence’ (AiSR) is aimed at artists of all disciplines. During the six-week residency the scholarship holders have their own studio at Rosenhöhe and - depending on the possibilities of the cooperating institute - a workplace at the research institutions.
The aims of the programme are: to provide artists with access to institutions, to promote sustainable exchange between science and art, to further develop independent artistic research, and to present and publish the projects carried out during the AiSR. In addition, it is expressly desired that the artists participate in the association‘s outreach programme, for example with an outreach project as part of the association‘s youth work or as a participant in a Digital*Salon. Applications from artist duos is possible, but the grant amount will not increase.
Residencies can be carried out in the period from June to October 2022.
The programme covers:
- A six-week stay in the studio house Ludwig-EngelWeg 1 at Darmstadt‘s Rosenhöhe in the immediate vicinity of Mathildenhöhe.
- Access to the cooperating institute and work opportunities in accordance with the proposed project and the resources there.
- A scholarship totalling 3000 EUR.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses according to expenditure up to a maximum of €1000.
- An exhibition space in which to present during or at the conclusion of the residency.
- Publication and communication of the project via KeD’s social media channels.