Inter Arts Center (IAC) is happy to announce its first Immersive Call in collaboration with KØS. This specific call is part of a broader collaboration between IAC and KØS on a three-year research and exhibition project called ‘Sites, sounds and screens – new approaches to sites, locality and technology in public art’.
For IAC this new open call is part of a greater focus on immersive formats. Alongside the annual call for immersive projects, a network and a gathering called Immersive Days has been also been established, with its first edition in June 2021. In November next year professional artists, curators, researchers, technicians, teachers and students within a broader field of immersive technologies and artistic practices will meet up to share their latest work and challenges, and to exchange ideas and give each other feedback.
The first immersive call aims to investigate what could be read as a contradiction: public immersion. When we talk about immersion, we tend to imagine an auditive or visual immersion into a world that excludes our surroundings, which is exactly what the public is all about – other people, and the spaces or sites that surrounds and connect us.
Artists whose practices evolve around public space, extended reality, world building and/or immersive technologies are encouraged to apply for this open call with new bold projects or adaptions of existing works. The organisers are interested in the inherent contradiction of the term public immersion, and in addition to this in the overall question that Sites, sounds and screens raises about immersive technologies:
How do these technologies change the way we conceive, experience and engage with sites and locations? As artists and audience? Can we reconfigure or negotiate the dominating site-specific approaches through new technologies?
The winning application will receive:
- An artist grant of 3000 EUR. In addition to this the call covers all travel and accommodation, and a basic production budget in line with the proposed project.
- A long-term residency in a dynamic environment for artistic development and experimentation with the opportunity for both qualified audiences, meetings, discussions and feedback sessions at IAC (the residency can be split up into more than one period).
- Technical resources (equipment and assistance), but also guidance in e.g. Unity (game engine), various tools for 3D graphics, ambisonics and arduino etc.
- A highly professional discursive context and framework for investigating new artistic approaches to art, technology and public space.
- Possibilities of presenting a work-in-progress or the finished project at IACs Immersive Days gathering, November 2022, and/or at the concluding exhibition and symposium at KØS in 2024.