Gasworks is inviting applications for a fully funded 11-week residency in London for an artist in the early stages of their career based in South Africa or Zimbabwe. The residency will run from 2 October – 18 December 2023. Gasworks’ residencies are opportunities for self-led professional development, artistic exchange, and experimentation.
The residency comprises:
- 24-hour access to a fully accessible private studio at Gasworks, alongside other visiting artists and Gasworks’ permanent studio holders.
- A public Open Studio event displaying work produced during the residency at Gasworks which will take place on the tenth week of the residency.
- All visa costs covered and support during the visa application process.
- Economy return flights from the artist’s home city to London, including 1 cabin and 1 hold luggage.
- Single room accommodation within Gasworks’ Residency House (a 2-story house, shared with 3 other artists-in-residence), with share of the communal bathrooms and kitchen.
- A weekly stipend of £150 for living expenses.
- A materials budget of £800.
- Access to Gasworks’ tools and AV equipment, subject to availability.
- A prepaid travel card (TFL zones 1+2) for unlimited travel within central London for the duration of the residency.
- Administrative, pastoral and curatorial support from Gasworks (during office hours, Monday-Friday, 9:30am-6pm).
- A dedicated residency page on Gasworks’ website.
- A short video interview and presentation in advance of the Open Studio to introduce the artists’ work. The video will be permanently added to the residency page on Gasworks’ website.
- At least 2 individual studio visits with curators and arts professionals (meetings will be in person however on occasions and when relevant they will also happen virtually).
- Opportunities to meet with other artists, arts professionals, patrons and collectors through at least 2 organised lunches and/or dinners.
- At the end of the 11 weeks a written report will be required summarising the artist’s experiences during the residency, a template will be provided.
This residency is open to contemporary visual artists working across all disciplines.