CCA Derry~Londonderry and Kaunas Artists’ House are preparing the second of their ongoing series of Reciprocal Residency Programme DeMo (Decoding Modernity). These residencies have an aim to develop an experimental artistic framework for the critique of progress which is practically a synonym of modernity that is often perceived in a very limited West-centric manner. The very definition of ‘emerging’ is explained by the Cambridge dictionary in terms of centres of power; non-central places in relation to finance/political/cultural centres are often defined as emerging in both fields of business and the arts. For the open call the artists are invited to relate and reflect on the meaning of emerging. Can you emerge from nothing? Can emerging be an eternal state of affairs?
The residency programme seeks to create opportunities for artists from Northern Ireland and Lithuania to participate in fully funded artist residencies, stimulating mutual dialogue and exchange. The residency period in Lithuania and NI will take place during February 2022 lasting up to one month culminating with two solo exhibitions of new and/or existing work at CCA Derry~Londonderry, March–May 2022 and Kaunas exhibition spaces, June–August 2022.
Applications are open to emerging artists based in or from Northern Ireland and Lithuania.
Participating artists will receive:
- Temporary artist studio/working space.
- Access to Derry~Londonderry or Kaunas city/Kaunas district (LT) networks and resources.
- Exhibition March–May 2022 at CCA Derry~Londonderry/exhibition June-August 2022 in Kaunas.
- Stipend of £1000 (CCA Derry~Londonderry) or 1000 Eur (KAH) plus travel to/from Kaunas and Derry~Londonderry (calculated for travel to/from Northern Ireland) and modest materials support.
- Artist fee for participating in the exhibitions.