Orbitals is a recurrent programme which takes four curators and researchers from or living in the Arab world to an international location to learn about a different artistic context. During a ten-day guided research trip, the participants, along with members of Mophradat’s team, meet and share experiences with peers in the art scenes and communities they are visiting.
This year’s edition of Orbitals, taking place in November, is an introduction to some of the art activity in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. The participants will travel together to meet artists and curators, as well as other art institutions in both cities. The trip will focus on questions around the right to land, art’s relationship to gentrification, and how to occupy space. The participants will travel together to meet artists and curators, as well as other art institutions in both cities. Mophradat will cover airfare, travel insurance, visa costs, and provide participants with accommodations and per diems.
- Applicants must be curators and/or researchers from the field of contemporary arts (all disciplines are welcome).
- Applicants must be from or living in the Arab world.
- Applicants must have at least five years’ professional work experience in a field of contemporary arts.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate prior experience working on international projects, exchange, or collaboration in their home country or abroad.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate their engagement with a specific project that they are developing.
- Applicants must be available to participate for the entire duration of the trip, and commit to taking part in all its activities and complete schedule.