WE-Hope and Digital Democracies have announced a call out for artists to use testimonials collected from survivors of conflict to create an interactive digital animation. The commissioned work will be shown in public outdoor space and premiered at Frequency Festival 2021 in Lincoln, UK.
The successful commission will be part of a European-funded project to update the ancient visual storytelling notion of the Cantastoria.
Having completed the first stage of the project to build a digital archive hosting the stories, WE-Hope and their UK partner Digital Democracies are now seeking proposals to use digital technology to share them.
Ideally, the piece will be generative and able to be influenced by audiences experiencing the work either online or in public space.
The final animation will be presented alongside a live choral performance of a new composition inspired by the testimony commissioned for the project.
Artist(s) are invited to apply with ideas that:
- Respond to the themes and impetus of the overall WE-Hope project and Digital Democracies.
- Can be presented both physically (for example on a screen or as an installation) and digitally (either as an animation, film, or social interaction) through online platforms.
- Interactive: Has the scope to be influenced by input from public audiences responding to the work.
- Able to tour: Through Digital Democracies there is an option for simultaneous showings in Lincoln and Brighton as well as future presentations through WE-Hope’s international network.
- Able to be developed and presented within covid-secure guidelines making allowances for possible on-going social distancing in October.
- Relevant to audiences and considering diversity and accessibility in order to be as inclusive as possible.
- In keeping with the values of Digital Democracies, Creative Europe and WE-Hope.
Applications will be considered for both full projects and prototypes, although the project must be able to be tested with audiences.
The budget for the project is 8000 Euros (inc VAT) to include all fees, equipment and materials. Additional budget can be made available to support the showing of work in two locations. It is anticipated that the majority of the work will be completed online but travel will be negotiated outside of this budget.