The Museo delle Civiltà in Rome, Italy is launching an open call for a residency and the production of a project on the topic ‘Care in a World We Share with Others/Caring in a Precarious World’.
The residency will take place in the framework of the European Project Taking Care – Ethnographic and World Cultures Museums as Spaces of Care, co-funded by the Creative Europe Programme of the European Union.
Museums of Ethnography and World Cultures hold a great number of collections originating from societies whose members today are involved in social, political or ecological struggles. How can they be activated to address the twin concerns of planetary precarity and the precarity of plural societies? In what ways can they shape more democratic and equitable futures mobilising their collections and (difficult) histories? And how might they help to challenge rising exclusionary politics based in anxiety around others?
Within this context, the Museo delle Civiltà is committed to exploring the connections between its ethnographic collections and questions regarding the climate crisis, the Anthropocene and issues related to the afterlives of colonialism.
The call is addressed to activists, artists, researchers, or cultural actors and creatives similarly engaged in contemporary efforts and interested in museum collections as sources of inspiration, with a background in museum practices, visual art, architecture, literature, design, or music. The call is open to collectives or teams if the accommodation and fee is shared.
The successful applicant will undertake a residency in Rome between September 2022 and the end of October 2022 in order to create a site- and context-specific – conceived and produced in the framework of the dialogue between museum curators, the collections, and the resident’s inspiration, poetics, and politics. The output will then be presented in a temporary experimental exhibition which will open as part of the Taking Care Project in January 2023. It could also be exhibited in the Museo delle Civiltà and/or future events.
The Museo delle Civiltà offers:
- Residency stipend, September and October 2022: €4000 in total, presence required.
- Fee for the completed project: €4000.
- Production costs will be reimbursed for a maximum amount up to €2500 (under submission of corresponding list of invoices and copies).
- Any purchased equipment will remain with the Museo delle Civiltà. The fee includes the transfer/cession of publication and production rights to Museo delle Civiltà.
- Accommodation for up to two people in a single apartment.
- Travel costs to and from Rome (economy class) for the residency.