steirischer herbst festival based in Graz and Styria, Austria, is looking for a curator in the field of visual arts and performance to start from 1 January 2023.
Areas of responsibility
- Researching and monitoring art scenes internationally, nationally, and locally, developing networks.
- Researching histories and contexts of Graz, Styria, Austria, and Central and Eastern Europe in relation to the whole world.
- Proposing artists’ projects and programme elements to the chief curator, developing them further in case they are confirmed.
- Supporting the chief curator in all curatorial matters.
- Contributing, within a team of curators, to festival’s yearly scenario, structure, and themes.
- Location scouting for site-specific projects, researching history and basic feasibility.
- Budgeting, organising, managing, and realising/installing confirmed projects together with artists and the festival’s production team.
- Proactive approach to funding and contributing content to funding applications (researching and writing).
- Developing the public/discursive program, participating in the educational programme and audience development.
- Writing about art projects.
- Developing documentation strategies together with the communications department.
- Local outreach:
- Developing connections to local institutions and the art scene in Graz and Styria and collaborating with them, showing a strong local presence.
- Selecting projects for the festival’s parallel program as part of a jury, monitoring and responding to artists’ proposals.
Minimum salary: 2900 EUR gross based on 40h/week, overpayment according to qualifications and experience.