State Opera Hanover is now accepting applications for its new Composer-in-residence scheme for the funding programme ‘360° - Fund for New City Cultures’ from January 2023 - July 2023.
Musical theatre is changing. New sounds, voices and technologies have added new perspectives to the classical canon. How can we develop creative musical programmes and cross-genre projects that resonate more with a diverse urban society? How can casting and performance practices in musical theatre be expanded?
Hanover State Opera are looking for a Composer-in-residence with pioneering ideas for musical theatre. The Hanover State Opera offers networks, guidance, cooperation and support in the realisation of your music theatre programme ideas. The project is funded by the ‘360° - Fund for New City Cultures’ of the Federal Cultural Foundation.
Hanover State Opera explicitly welcome applications from marginalised artists, especially BIPoC, people with a refugee or migration history, with different ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Hanover State Opera are interested in interdisciplinary, hybrid, performative approaches, cross-genre concepts (music, singing, drama, ballet, theatre, visual arts) and experimental musical-artistic ideas. The focus of artistic interest should be the human voice, the human body. All genres of music are welcome!
- Hanover State Opera are looking for a personality who develops their own ideas with creativity, innovative strength and team spirit. This requires a great deal of curiosity, love of experimentation and the willingness to deal with different genres of music theatre.
- You are no more than 35 years old and already have made artistic work and gained project experience. Previous experience in opera is not required.
- You use your transcultural experiences to work with the different groups and actors of a diverse urban society, especially with migrant and post-migrant cultural communities and initiatives, and create spaces for artistic and aesthetic synergies.
- A sound knowledge of German is required. Additional foreign language skills (English, Turkish, Arabic, Russian, French, Polish) would be an asset.
- For the residency in Hanover, you should have your main place of residence in the European Union or Great Britain.
- Hanover State Opera offer a six-month work stay (January 2023 to March 2023 with sporadic presence; April to July 2023 with permanent residence) at the Lower Saxony State Theater Hannover GmbH / State Opera Hanover for the professional realisation of your own artistic ideas with the aim of performing a project.
- A total fee of EUR 12,000.
- During the onboarding process, you will get to know the State Opera, its departments and artistic staff. Afterwards, mentors from the State Opera will accompany you during the process, especially in the conception and realisation of your ideas, and give support in your collaboration with the institution, with city networks and working environments. A presence (residence) in Hanover is necessary during the rehearsal stage.
- The Hanover State Opera offers networks, production resources, cooperation and support in the conception and realisation of your music theatre programme ideas.