Up to nine residents are invited to join the Sommerakademie Paul Klee (SPK) programme, curated by artist Dora García, with a thematic framework titled ‘Position voice mundo: The urgent need for feminisation’. Over the course of 2021 & 2022, the SPK features public lectures, closed-door seminars, and access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and technical support at the Bern University of the Arts (HKB) – but also teaching opportunities in the form of workshops at the HKB. In response to ongoing practical and political contingencies, this call is addressed to applicants residing within an approx. 1000 km radius of Bern. For the same reason, the organisers are newly introducing the option of digital SPK residencies, from further afar.
- The first session, 2-8 August 2021, to be held entirely online.
- Meetings in Bern are planned for February 2022 and July/August 2022.
- February and July/August 2022, for periods of up to five additional days each, residents have access to HKB infrastructure and technical support.
- December 2021 and 2022, residents conduct workshops with HKB students, remunerated at going local rates.
- Additional meetings and workshops may materialise as the program evolves.
Digital participants will be able to participate in the programme fully, but at a distance.
Travel, accommodation, visa expenses and a per diem of 50 CHF (~45 EUR) are covered. Residents using production facilities are entitled to a modest production stipend of 500 CHF (~450 EUR).
The jury will place a doubled emphasis on Europe-based applicants with an international/migrant background. Any such candidates are all the more loudly encouraged to apply. Teams can apply, but ‘the bigger the team, the slimmer the chances’.