Samovar Circles is a short-term network wishing to create a collective catalyst and boiler of ideas on how to tackle the new challenges and opportunities for the performing arts in post covid times.
They are inviting artists and presenters in the Nordic and Baltic contemporary circus and performing arts scene to a series of intimate and highly participatory meetings, workshops and seminars on the following questions:
- What is the future of international collaboration?
- How do we develop the work for diversity?
- How do we support the new generation of artists?
Samovar Circles aims to become an empathy driven think-tank from which inspiration can ripple into new working models for tomorrow. The network is initiated with the objective to support artists and presenters across the field to keep going, strengthen relationships and find out together how to build new support structures for the future.
How to participate
Samovar Circles will take place both online and live. There will be two different ways to take part.
- Open to all: Artists, presenters and funders from the Nordic and Baltic region can take part in open brainstorming sessions, seminars and workshops on the three questions.
- For selected participants: A core group of 12 artists and 12 presenters will be invited to participate in all open activities, and additionally to engage in three separate occasions to boil and refine ideas.
Core group members sign up to join a collective thinking process online and live over ten months. SAMOVAR CIRCLES will organise 22 brainstorming meetings, workshops, seminars and boiling sessions – and will expect you to join at least 12 of these between December 2021 and September 2022. For core group artists there will be a symbolic fee of €500 for your participation.
The organisers hope to invite the core group to:
- Stockholm during Subcase and CirkusMania festival in February 2022.
- Kaunas during Cirkuliacija festival in June 2022.
- One more live event in a Nordic country.
Costs to cover travel and accommodation for these live events will then be covered by the project.