NAM – Not a Museum presents SUPERBLAST, a call to the arts for creative and experimental artistic production with an interdisciplinary approach that will be held at Manifattura Tabacchi in Florence, Italy. What does it mean to create art today? How can we rebuild a balance between humanity, urban centres and the natural world? Is a new ecological vision feasible? This is a call to anyone who does not yet have preordained answers, anyone who wishes to contribute to change and is in search of a space in which to do so.
SUPERBLAST will dedicate Manifattura Tabacchi’s spaces to artistic experimentation and to addressing urgent issues such as: the relationship between nature and culture, humans and other species, the individual and the community.
SUPERBLAST seeks artists who want to freely develop their research to create site-specific works, while conducting an interdisciplinary and educational dialogue with critics, curators, and scientists.
SUPERBLAST is open to all individual artists and artist collectives under 40 years of age. Each selected artist will be offered:
- A workshop in Manifattura Tabacchi dedicated to the exploration of the space and its surroundings, the choice of the spaces, and the scheduling of the residencies.
- €5000 towards production costs, and a studio in which to work.
- €500 to cover travel and living expenses.
- A personal curator, chosen by the winner, who will accompany the artist during the residency to aid them in the writing of a critical text to develop a publication on their project.
- The exhibition of the artist’s work as part of the final exhibition and a publication at the conclusion of the residency.
The residency duration is flexible: between 5 May and 5 August 2021, each artist will choose the exact length of their stay based on the project they intend to develop.