Medinea (MEDiterranean INcubator of Emerging Artists), founded and driven by the Festival d’Aix-en-Provence, supports the professional integration of young Mediterranean musicians, by developing intercultural projects that enhance dialogue, transmission, and mobility around the Mediterranean basin.
Medinea is now inviting applications for innovative training experiences within the programmes conceived and co-produced by Medinea and the Mediterranean Youth Orchestra.
Four Medinea sessions will be held in Lisbon (Portugal), Sidi Bou Said (Tunisia), Aix-en-Provence (France), and Nuoro (Italy) to explore intercultural and improvised music with the help of the jazzman and composer Fabrizio Cassol.
Each session has its own dates and deadline:
- Lisbon session, Portugal: 28 March – 12 April 2021 (deadline: 26 March 2021).
- Sidi Bou Said session, Tunisia: 17-30 May 2021 (deadline: 20 April 2021).
- Aix-en-Provence session, France: 7-23 July 2021 (deadline: 10 June 2021).
- Nuoro session, Italy: 13-27 August 2021 (15 July 2021).
- Age of the applicants: 18 to 30 years old
- Musicians from the following countries can apply: Albania, Algeria, Bosnia, Cyprus, Croatia, Egypt, Spain, France, Greece, Israel, Italy, Lebanon, Libya, Macedonia, Malta, Morocco, Monaco, Montenegro, Palestine, Portugal, Slovenia, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey.
- Musical improvisers (traditional and Mediterranean music, jazz, etc.).
- High instrumental level, at ease with musical collective practices.
- Open to all instruments and voices.
Minimum level required:
- High instrumental level or high vocal level – Intense practice of musical improvisation, even of musical composition. Career-oriented higher studies in music.
- There is no requirement to have been or to be a student in a higher education institution.
- A first orchestra within an intercultural ensemble will be appreciated.
- During the sessions, the training will happen in English.
The Mediterranean Youth Orchestra of the Festival d’Aix, the network Medinea and its members cover all the tuition, accommodation, meals and travel fees for these sessions.