The Institute for Advanced Study in the Humanities (KWI) in Essen is an interdisciplinary research institute for the humanities and social sciences. The KWI fellowship programme addresses excellent researchers from the humanities, cultural studies, and the social sciences. The institute provides fellows with modern infrastructure, office space, technical support and offers a library service, event and research management as well as support in all administrative and communicative regards. Fellowships last six months, running 1 April – 30 September 2022.
KWI are inviting research fellows with a completed PhD plus up to six years of post-doctoral experience. The fellowships can be offered to applicants in all disciplines represented in the current KWI research agenda. The KWI International Fellowship Programme addresses international researchers. Researchers of German nationality are eligible to apply if currently employed at an international institute.
Fellows will receive a fellowship contract (not a full-employment contract) and a monthly allowance of 4000€ (pre-tax) meant to cover rent, insurances and living expenses. Travel expenses for arrival at the KWI and for departure after the fellowship can be partially reimbursed.
- The fellowship should be dedicated to research linked to the programmatic agenda of the KWI. Various project formats are possible: You might devote your time in Essen to finishing a book or a special issue, to finalising a research proposal or setting up a research group. KWI also welcome plans to establish or substantiate collaborations with the universities of the Ruhr Alliance.
- KWI expect the fellows to be present at least 4 days a week.
- Fellows are requested to actively take part in lectures, conferences, reading groups and other academic events at the KWI.
- Fellows are not expected to teach, but always welcome to inspire KWI’s teaching laboratory with new ideas or participate in lecture series and seminars at surrounding universities.
- Publications deriving from the time of residence should mention the KWI.
- German is not required.