ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network working with more than 2500 local and regional governments committed to sustainable urban development. Active in 125+ countries, they influence sustainability policy and drive local action for low emission, nature-based, equitable, resilient and circular development.
ICLEI’s European Secretariat is based in Freiburg (Germany), with specialised offices in Brussels and Berlin, and more than 100 staff from all over Europe and beyond, covering a broad variety of professional disciplines.
ICLEI are now seeking an Officer for Governance and Social Inclusion, ‘Cultural and Creative Transition’. In this position, you will have an opportunity to:
- Deepen your understanding of how cities design and implement sustainability and cultural policies, what kind of challenges they face and how best to support them.
- Work alongside leading urban researchers, politicians and practitioners on European projects, providing solutions for today’s urban challenges.
- Contribute to European and international processes shaping urban policies, such as the EU Green Deal, the New European Bauhaus, the UN SDGs, and others.
- Be part of an internationally recognised organisation that inspires, supports and critically evaluates new trends in sustainable urban development.
- Enjoy flat hierarchies, an amiable and trustful work atmosphere, space for personal development and fair, flexible working conditions in a family friendly certified organisation.
ICLEI are looking for a person that meets the following criteria:
- Sound understanding of sustainable development, cultural transformations, integrated planning, cultural tourism, creative governance and social innovation.
- At least 3 years of professional experience working in a project-based environment, ideally with international projects for and with local governments.
- Good communicator in person, online and in writing, confident in interacting with partners ranging from grassroots organisations to ministries.
- Proficient in English and at least one more European language, spoken and written; more languages are an asset.
- Reliable, curious, able to work independently and keep calm in a fast-paced, international environment.
ICLEI offer a limited contract until 30 October 2023 with the potential for extension, with a gross salary according to the Officer’s position in ICLEI’s salary grid (indicative: 44,400 – 46,800 EUR per annum), 40h working week, 6 weeks paid leave per annum, readiness for travel.
Working language is English. Please note that applicants must – due to legal reasons – hold EU citizenship or valid EU residence permit and a valid German work permit. Applications not meeting these conditions unfortunately cannot be considered.