Publishing Ecology is a yearly opportunity to develop a visual artist’s practice through a residency and publishing award. With a new theme chosen yearly, this award arises from the initiatives of publisher Loose Joints and residency programme Mahler & LeWitt Studios in Spoleto, Italy to support and champion visual narratives relevant to our contemporary moment.
In 2023, the programme partners with innovative magazine Atmos for Publishing Ecology: an award inviting applications from artists engaging with the anthropocene, climate change and the environment.
The opportunity includes a month in residence at the Mahler & LeWitt Studios in Sep–Oct 2023, where the winner will be able to develop work for a book, which will be edited, designed and published by Loose Joints in Summer 2024 with launch events in London and Marseille.
Applications are invited from visual artists who wish to propose how they would use their time in residence to develop ongoing projects or create new work connected to these themes, with an eventual publication in mind.
The award includes:
- A residency at the Mahler & LeWitt Studios in Spoleto, Italy, including independent accommodation and studio space, 11 September - 8 October 2023.
- 30 EUR per diem during the residency period.
- Residency production budget (up to 500 EUR).
- Round-trip travel, excluding transfers.
- Curatorial support: mentoring and feedback from the Mahler & LeWitt Studios during residency period.
- Editorial support: development and editing of a book to be designed and published by Loose Joints in 2024.
- Development sessions with Loose Joints and Atmos while artist-in-residence.
- Exhibition/book launch events in London, UK and Marseille, France.
Duos and collectives can also apply.