feminist elsewheres is a collaborative, intergenerational, and international project that provides a platform for historical as well as contemporary forms and actors of intersectional film work to further think through feminist history and future.
feminist elsewheres is organised by a group of curators, artists, and academics who re-examine two events in Berlin that they were not able to participate in: the 1973 ‘First International Women’s Film Seminar’ which marks a pivotal moment in the West German feminist film movement as well as its 1997 revisitation titled ‘… the point is to change it. Films, Festivals, Feminism’ to which various European Women’s Film Festivals were invited.
In November 2023 feminist elsewheres celebrates over 50 years of feminist film work and invites you to submit contributions for the film programme at Arsenal - Institute for Film and Video Art in Berlin, Germany.
Submissions can include (but are not limited to): contemporary and historical fiction-, documentary-, and experimental film / artistic contributions and interventions / archival research projects / distribution programs and more that:
- Work on and with feminist issues.
- Are working through intersectional fights and activist film heritage.
- Were made in collective contexts and are invested in collaboration as a mode of production and aesthetics.
- Are invested in ethnographic or artistic research.
- Are based on ephemeral knowledge production, e.g. oral histories.
Participants are invited to Berlin to introduce their work. feminist elsewheres has a budget for expense allowances, film copies, as well as travel costs and accommodation.