Bortolomiol (Italy) > residency opportunity for female land artists
Bortolomiol, a luxury winery of historical origin, offers an artist-in-residence within its own production establishment, on the suggestive hills of Prosecco Superiore.
Founded by Bartolomeo Bortolomiol in 1760, today the winery boasts a completely female management (the firm is led by 4 sisters: Maria Elena, Elvira, Luisa and Giuliana), and it is exactly the female contribution that we want to enhance with the “Female Land Artists Wanted project” created by Current, a start-up specialized in curating and developing unconventional artistic projects.
The Bortolomiol winery is located in the territory of Valdobbiadene (Veneto, Italy): an anthropic landscape of exceptional beauty, famous as a place of origin of the Prosecco wine.
The hills of Valdobbiadene are about to enter the UNESCO World Heritage Sites: a productive and authentic place, shaped by the wisdom of man and rich in natural, sensory and spiritual stimuli.
THE CONTEXT OF THE RESIDENCY: BORTOLOMIOL AND THE FILANDETTA PARK
The residency project has the objective to valorise the Filandetta Park, a beautiful nature reserve owned by the company and soon to be opened to the public, in which there is an organic vineyard, the winery, a stony amphitheatre in Greek style, the testing room in a spinning mill from the early 1900s, restored according to the canons of industrial archeology. The residency is in synergy with a larger project, strongly desired by the Bortolomiol Family, which regenerates a part of the historic center of Valdobbiadene.
Bortolomiol is the leading cantina in the production of Prosecco Superiore di Conegliano-Valdobbiadene DOCG (Denomination of Controlled and Guaranteed Origin), a sparkling wine produced only in the 15 municipalities to which the hills of Conegliano and Valdobbiadene belong. From the responsibility of being a leading company in the field of Prosecco Superiore and in accordance with a constantly developing project for an environmentally sustainable agriculture, Bortolomiol proposes techniques of organic cultivation and reduction of water use, a precious resource.
TIMES AND STRUCTURE OF THE ARTIST RESIDENCY
• The residence will last about 20 days and will cover the period between the second half of May 2019 and the first two weeks of June 2019 (the precise start and end dates can be better defined with the chosen candidate, also on the basis of company calendar);
• The task of the selected artist will be to produce, in this period, a land art intervention to enhance the Filandetta Park, in the light of the environmental stimuli of the context;
• The selection will tend to favour Land Art artworks, but it will evaluate also other proposals belonging to other artistic media, if these proposals are capable of valuing the cultural, natural and feminine context in which the park is included;
• At the end of the residency, the work will be presented in an exhibition event with artist talk and cocktails, open to the public and contributing incisively to turn the spotlight on the environmental and gender issues.
WHO CAN APPLY AND HOW
• Female artists, who speak English or Italian fluently, without any restriction of age, nationality or artistic background (with preference to land art);
BENEFITS OFFERED TO THE SELECTED ARTIST
• Covering the costs of the round-trip flight from the destination of origin;
• Artistic fee (from a minimum of 700,00 to a maximum of 1,000.00 euros, based on the length of stay and CV);
• Access to indoor spaces to work;
• Accommodation in a small independent apartment, in the middle of the Filandetta Park, with kitchen. The residence wants to be "female friendly": according to the conditions, it is possible to evaluate with the curators the possibility for the female maters to bring their children with them;
• At the end of the project, the work created by the artist will become part of the private collection of the Bortolomiol Winery, within the exclusive setting of the Filandetta Park.
Deadline: 30 April 2019
Answer exclusively by email to: info(at)currentcorporate.com (with the subject "female land artist wanted"), accompanied by a portfolio and/or artistic CV, and a short text of 300 words representing the concept of a site-specific work to be developed (photographs and sketches of the site-specific potential intervention are welcome but not mandatory)
• For information, contact the curators in Italian and English: info(at)currentcorporate.com / +39 375 5332009