23.06.2018

Open Call: Choreographic Territories competition for creating a dance performance inspired by Pola Nireńska (Poland)

The Adam Mickiewicz Institute, together with the Institute of Music and Dance, the Centre for Culture in Lublin and the Old Brewery New Dance/Art Stations Foundation, announce an open competition for creating and realizing a dance performance inspired by Pola Nireńska and her works, within the Choreographic Territories – New Paths for the Avant-Garde Programme in 2019.

Choreographic Territories – New Paths for the Avant-Garde is a programme presenting Polish contemporary dance by some of the best Polish artists, educators and theorists of dance. It will be realized between 2018 and 2021 and includes performances, workshops, meetings and debates organized in the most active centres of contemporary dance in Central and Eastern Europe: in Belarus, Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, Slovenia, Serbia and Bulgaria. The PROGRAMME is a continuation of the 2016 Choreographic Territories, the idea of which was expanded in 2018 to encompass propositions connected to the prominent figures of women artists of the 20th-century dance avant-garde who were of Polish descent. A special publication (realized in 2017) and new, international choreographic projects will focus on the artistic work and fascinating biographies of Pola Nireńska, Bronisława Niżyńska, Marie Rambert and Yanka Rudzka. The idea of the project is to demonstrate that just like in the twenties and thirties, Polish artists can still be a source of inspiration and of modern understanding of choreography. The project is to return to a model of intercultural exchange focused on real cooperation with local communities, while presenting themes which emphasize the strong presence of women choreographers and dancers—both today and in the history of Polish dance in general. The PROGRAMME Choreographic Territories – New Paths for the Avant-Garde is realized within the multi-annual programme of the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage of the Republic of Poland realized by the Adam Mickiewicz Institute Polska 100.

Who can apply

Any legal person (a cultural institution, foundation, association, etc.) based in Poland with a partner (a cultural institution, foundation, association, etc.) who is based outside of Poland and who will cooperate in the production of the performance.

Among the conditions

The maximum budget for the production and premiere of the PERFORMANCE provided by the ORGANIZERS: PLN 150,000.00 gross (one hundred and fifty thousand zlotys 00/100 gross), provided that the amount cannot exceed 80% of the total production and premiere budget of the PERFORMANCE. The PRODUCER is obliged to provide the remaining sum (minimum 20% of the total budget) necessary for the production and premiere of the PERFORMANCE. 

The PERFORMANCE team (including performers, choreographer/director, composer, set designer, costume designer, producers, technical service) cannot exceed 12 people.

Deadline: 30 September 2018

Find all details online