Afrique Plurielle: Call for artist's residency between Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) and Marseille (France)
The project Afrique Plurielle, promoted by the Versant Sud association in Marseille, develops artistic and cultural projects in close connection with its territory and with the entire African continent. The two geographical zones have one thing in common: they are territories marked by the virtual absence of an art market. The ambition of the association Versant Sud is to provide support in the contemporary artistic creation and in the dynamisation of these two markets.
The idea of the Afrique Plurielle project is to organize every year:
- An artistic cross-production residency between Marseille and a country partner based on the African continent,
- A program of discussions in the schools of Fine Arts between Marseille and a partner African country,
- Diffusions in galleries and art centers.
The year 2018 will be devoted to artistic and cultural collaborations with Ethiopia. Afrique Plurielle will coordinate a cross-production residency between Marseille and Addis Ababa. The project will host an Ethiopian artist for 6 or 8 weeks in Marseille between October and December 2018, and an artist from the PACA region will then be hosted for 6 or 8 weeks in Addis Ababa between February and March 2019.
The selected artist will be invited to present the works created during the residency, during an opening vernissage of residence organized at the residence Dos Mares (6th district, in Marseille). The invited artists in residence in Marseille are selected via this present call for projects, by a jury made up of professionals, for the quality of their artistic approach, their innovative character and their capacity to confront and interact with the place of production.
Dates: - Session 1 (for the Ethiopian artist in Marseille): Between October 1st to December 20th, 2018 (the exact dates will be discussed with the selected artist)
- Session 2 (for the French artist in Addis Ababa): Between February 1st to 30 March 2019. A second call for applications will be launched for Session 2.
Financial means supported by the Versant Sud association
• The selected artist will benefit from a return air ticket from Addis Abeba to Marseille (within the limit of 800 € TTC) and the VISA 60 €
• The selected artist will benefit from a housing and a workshop for two months, equivalent to 1200 € TTC.
• The selected artist will receive a residence allowance of 10 euros TTC / day, or 610 euros TTC for the eight weeks of residence which includes the costs of restoration.
• The selected artist will benefit from material necessary for the realization of works for the eight weeks of residence, within the limit of 1000 € TTC in total. • TOTAL = 3670 €
Young artists graduated from the Addis Ababa School of Arts and Design and professional artists can apply. The following artistic disciplines are accepted: Visual arts, art photography, painting, drawing, engraving and sculpture.
Deadline: 17 June 2018