Borderline Offensive > Call to arms for artists
Borderline Offensive (2017-2020) is a partnership of 12 countries in Europe and the Middle East, using humor and art to mediate intercultural dialogue and tackle societal challenges as framed by the so-called xenophobia/populism/migrant crisis. Applying artists are invited to join us in a 3-year artistic research & societal development process:
• Be part of an artistic residency for 10 working days, with 3 other artists;
• In Sweden, Serbia, Netherlands, Bulgaria or Slovakia (as host or guest);
• Free time for research, creation and inspiration;
As part of residency programme:
• Design artistic workshops instigating dialogue between migrant/refugee and host communities (2 days)
• Peer-learning with local artistic community/public (1 day);
• Conceive an artwork in preferred discipline/genre, imbued with humor aesthetics' elements (gallow's humor, parody, satire, sarcasm, irony, slapstick, etc.);
• Deliver an artwork proposal for potential production and international touring.
• International touring of the produced artworks, a minimum of 3 occasions in 3 different European countries;
• Presentation of artwork + process in international conference in Sweden.
The organisers are looking for
• 20 Artists (all disciplines, career stages, tribal ideologies), with interest in humor aesthetics (NB: =/= comedy), intercultural dialogue, participatory art practices and art-based societal development;
• 19 out of 20 applicants are locally based in Sweden, Serbia, Netherlands, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Lebanon, Palestine, Turkey, Syria (any national origin);
• 1 out of 20 applicants may represent any country, nationality and legal status (as relevant to project's topics, preferably MENA)
What is offered:
Fully covered travel and accommodation;
Per diem for 10 days + Stipend, in line with EACEA's max. daily rates per country*
Seed budget for artwork production (upon approval of proposal, up to 3.000€ by residency);
Travel, accommodation, and stipend for presentation/performance of artwork in 3 other European countries in 2019;
Travel, accommodation, and per diem covered for public presentation of artwork in international conference in 2020;
Promotion of Artwork and artist via project's portfolio, shared across Europe for further performance/presentation opportunities during 2019-2020.
Deadline: 14 February 2018