mare culturale urbano (Italy) > Call for artists' residencies (performing arts)
mare culturale urbano is a centre for artistic production that as from today lands in west Milan with a mission: build a new model for suburban territorial development. By establishing a strong bond with its surrounding local dimension, mare will develop international exchanges and activate processes of social inclusion, urban regeneration and cultural innovation. mare combines artistic research and community social planning by coordinating a series of residencies focused on the creation of contents able to leave a mark and to establish a connection with the surrounding urban territory.
1 - The call
The call is open to select one performing arts project for a 9-week-long creation residency, including a mentorship/collaboration with the dutch company Wunderbaum.
Preference will be given to projects focused on community and territorial engagement referring to the west suburbs of Milan (zone 7).
Particular relevance will be given to the use of innovative languages and modes of fruition.
The proposed projects must be authorial and original - not necessarily unpublished - and can begin, develop and be completed during the course of the residency.
Every company or artist can present only one project.
Proposals must include a repertoire performance’s artistic sheet and technical rider, to be staged in the frame of the first 3 weeks of residency (detailed to be defined with mare).
2 - Where
The residency will take place at mare culturale urbano, in Cascina Torrette, based in via G. Gabetti 15, Milan. Cascina Torrette
3 - When
March / December 2018 (9 weeks to be decided with mare)
4 - Who
Applications can be submitted by companies (both official and unofficial) and professional artists - Italian or foreign - able to prove and provide documentation for at least a year of activity. Preference will be given to emerging artists/companies that express a keen interest in the field of language experimentation.
5 - The residency
The residency consists in 3 blocks that include:
•During the first 3 weeks:
research and creation for the project proposed during the selection;
presentation of a repertoire performance (details to be defined together with mare)
•During the following 3 weeks:
attendance of an artistic and production mentorship program with the dutch company Wunderbaum, conceived in accordance with the proposed project;
public presentation of the project or presentation of a first study/mock up of the project, after 6 weeks of residency (the company/artist can decide if the public presentation is a meeting with audience, a performance or some other public output; details to be defined together with mare).
• During the last 3 weeks:
three more weeks may be added to the residency if required; the company/artist and Wunderbaum will be free to chose if and how to activate this last residency block;
public representation of the final performing result at the end of the residency (details to be defined together with mare).
6- What is offered
• coproduction contribution: 2,500 euro
•a ca 110 Mq work and rehearsal space (available for a max of 6 hours per day) equipped with a generic sound-system and lighting control console, two music rehearsal rooms and other spaces to be defined with mare culturale urbano according to the availability;
have a look at the two music rehearsal rooms;
• lodging for the company/artists throughout the whole period of residence at mare’s guesthouse in Figino (via Giovanni Battista Rasario 14), at “Borgo Sostenibile” a social housing project, about 4 KM far from mare culturale urbano (via G. Gabetti 15). Housing consists of one single room with a queen-size bed, one quadruple room, one double rooms, one triple room, inside apartments equipped with kitchen and office/studio space;
• workstations will be made available at mare throughout the whole residency period;
• widespread promotion and diffusion of the project on mare ’s social networks and through specialized press;
• mare will be curating all communications regarding the outcomes of the project;
• technical assistance for the public outcomes of the residence (the technical rider and the technical requirements are to be covered by the company/artist, with the possibility of mare’ support);
• the coverage of SIAE costs (copyrights);
• foreign companies will be provided assistance with travel costs (to be defined with mare).
7 - How to submit your application
The application and all required materials must be sent before 7 January 2018 (midnight) to the e-mail address info(at)maremilano.org. The following attachments are mandatory:
• the company/artist’s curriculum/portfolio;
• a scan of the duly filled in application form (please find the copy of the application attached herewith);
• the artistic project (max 500 words), possibly supported by video links and other materials;
• a draft or final technical rider;
• artistic sheet and technical rider of the repertoire performance to be presented during the first three weeks of residency.
8 - Selection and results
The proposals will be evaluated and selected by mare culturale urbano.
All participants will be informed of the results by September 30th 2016 via e-mail.
9 - Rules for submission of proposals
The submission of a proposal implies the full acceptance and respect of all conditions entailed by this call.
All changes applied to the submitted project must be first approved by mare culturale urbano.