(A.i.R) Dubai 2013 - Open Call for curatorial residency
The partners of A.i.R. Dubai – The Dubai Arts & Culture Authority, Delfina Foundation, Art Dubai and Tashkeel – in collaboration with ArtAsiaPacificare inviting international curators to apply for its 2013 residency programme, scheduled to run from January 7 to March 31, 2013.
Applications are open to curators interested in pursuing research, curatorial and critical writing opportunities in the Gulf. The curator will be in residence alongside three international artists and three Emirati artists, selected by the partners and a guest juror. Each international artist will be commissioned to produce new work for Art Dubai Projects, the fair’s not-for-profit programme of activities, while all artists are expected to showcase new work (or ideas-in-progress) in the residency house for an open studio programme, with the guidance and support of the curator-in-residence, in association with SIKKA Art Fair.
The selected curator will be an upcoming/mid-career curator from anywhere in the world, either working with an established institution (and able to take a sabbatical) or freelance. The jury will be seeking applicants who have demonstrated interest in the UAE/Gulf/Middle East with the capacity for in-depth research and writing. It is expected that the curator will use the opportunity to further develop links within and knowledge of the Gulf, with a view to working with artists based in, or ideas developed within, this region in the future. During the residency, the curator will be expected to:
- conduct studio/gallery visits
- provide curatorial support to A.i.R. Dubai’s resident artists and their respective commissions
- work with partners to develop / curate A.i.R. Dubai’s open studios, which might include a written contribution to exhibition materials
- participate in an educational programme around A.i.R. Dubai and its partners (such as Tashkeel, Art Dubai’s Education Programme and Sikka Art Fair)
The selected curator will receive:
- A 12-week residency in Dubai, including one economy return flight, a bursary for per diems, a local travel allowance, and accommodation in A.i.R. Dubai’s residency house provided by The Dubai Culture & Arts Authority
- A fee of £1,000 or 6,000 UAE Dirhams
- Support in accessing artist studios, galleries and institutions in the UAE
- An opportunity to be involved in developing research and discussion with the project partners
- An opportunity to shape A.i.R. Dubai’s open studios education and exhibition programme
Find all the details online.
Deadline for applications: 30 September.