Te Whare Hēra Wellington International Artist Residency for French / France-based artists (New Zealand)
The French Embassy in New Zealand is partnering with Te Whare Hēra Wellington International Artist Residency to develop a special initiative to bring French artists to New Zealand. The initiative will enable the participation of a French artist to the residency programme in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
Te Whare Hēra Wellington International Artist Residency is a non-commercial initiative run by Massey University’s Whiti o Rehua School of Art and Wellington City Council. This exciting new initiative is designed to bring contemporary international artists to live, work and exhibit in Wellington city. Artists are granted an impressive live/work studio suite situated within the prestigious Clyde Quay Wharf Development in downtown Wellington City. Residencies run for a five-month period.
Artists should be fluent in English. In case of France-based artists who are not French nationals, they must demonstrate that they have been living and working in France for at least the past 10 years, and have a track record of successful collaboration with French art centres and curators. They should also be able to fluently interact in French.
- Return economy airfares from France.
- Accommodation during the residency period, up to five months.
- An honorarium of $1,000 NZD a month.
- Exclusive use of the adjoining working studio and gallery.
- Technical and logistical support from key staff members within Whiti o Rehua, which includes access to wet darkrooms, a digital print facility, lighting studios and green screen facilities, wood and metal working workshop as agreed.
- Material and production costs up to $2,000 NZD, and freight costs of $500 NZD.
- Opportunities to present creative work in the studio and gallery spaces at the residency site and an exhibition upon completion of the residency.
- Facilitation and publication of events associated to the project; studio-visits, artist-talks, exhibitions, lectures, workshops etc.
- The costs associated with lectures, openings and residency publicity are covered by Te Whare Hēra.
Deadline (for expression of interest): 14 November